#ShoptheStash officially ended January first, but I’m still unofficially doing it.
I just couldn’t resist doing one little splurge. I was debating between Sephora (January is traditionally their skincare promotion) and Jolse. Jolse won out because of their mystery box and because I can make it rain with all these samples.
Sorry Sephora. You need to bribe me with ridiculous samples to woo me back.
Jolse: an overview
Jolse sort of blew up last year in the biggest, best way possible. It seemed like every happy blogger and customer did some wonderful shoutout to Bae (the owner’s surname) and how they were never disappointed with a shipment.
Unfortunately for me, last year was #shopthestash and I couldn’t just spend. Thankfully, once it hit January I was super stoked to get all the stuff I’d been eyeing for what seemed like forever.
Here’s the breakdown:
Received: 1/14/16 (that’s with just the $2.5 tracking guys! No EMS!)
- Cosrx BHA returning A-sol | A somewhat astringent toner that I’m really using as a pH-adjusting toner, but can also be used as a spot treatment.
- Cosrx Galactomyces 95 Whitening Power Essence | Also known in some parts as Cosrx Unfortunately Named Essence or Cosrx Racist Essence. Luckily though, this language barrier faux pas has been corrected! This is the product to replace my SK-II FTE.
- Cosrx Advanced Snail 96 Mucin Power Essence | All of my daily snail products were depleted early on. I’m so happy to introduce some snail in my routine again.
- Cosrx Advanced Snail 92 All in One Cream* | I love me a good snail and I’ve been really in some slime withdrawal since I’ve finished all my tubs of Missha. Finally I’ve upgraded to Cosrx!
- Cosrx Mela 14 White Ampoule | I may have overdone it with all the Cosrx buying, but I bought this because I’ve had my eye on it for a while. There are almost no reviews for this thing which makes me scared and excited all the same because I won’t be coloured by any outside opinion.
- Clio kill brow (#3 dark brown) | I’ve spent months going without a brow pen and that–more than anything–was the one item that I really yearned for. I loved my MAC brow pencil (repurchased three times), but I’m not so loyal to it that I won’t try something new–especially if it’s a bit cheaper. Clio has a pretty good reputation with makeup so I’m stoked to try this!
For the random box:
Cosrx Low pH gel cleanser | I’m actually really excited to receive this and was sending out vibes to get this as part of my random box.
Cosrx Acne Pimple Master Patch
Skin Watchers AC Clearing Essence | I’m not entirely sure how I feel about this. I’m past the age where I’m getting regular breakouts, but I do occasionally get some hormonal acne happening around my jaw. We’ll see if it can help with that!
Skin Watchers Aloe Vera Soothing Gel | I love aloe vera. I love aloe vera gel. Very excited to be using try this out this summer.
Samples and extras:
• Cosrx stickers and planner
• Cosrx samples:
BHA Blackhead Power Liquid//Galactomyces 95 Whitening Power Essence//AHA 7 Whitehead Power Liquid//Advanced Snail 96 Mucin Power Essence
• Etude House sheet mask (tea tree)
• italy towel
• Muji socks
• Luke charcoal nose strip
• Jolse brand: blotting papers, 2 hair ties
• random samples:
Tony Moly AC control acne foam cleanser//Etude House Moistfull Collagen essence//Tony Moly Nutra Energy 100 Hours Cream//Tony Moly Goat Milk Premium Cream//Tony Moly Goat Milk Premium Moisture Cream//Tony Moly Panda’s Dream whitening hand cream
Thank you, Jolse for your stellar service and product selection. But more importantly, thanks for bringing me back to that experience I miss from shopping at road shops: walking out and feeling like I cleared out the whole store because they gave me more than I paid for.
Seriously Sephora, consider being more generous with the samples! I remember back in the old days I actually got 3 samples with every in-store purchase!
My first purchase with Jolse has officially cemented itself as my go-to AB (Korean) retailer. Considering that it’s not hard to find brick-and-mortar stores in Vancouver (3 of The Face Shop, 2 of Tony Moly and more than a handful of specialty stores), that says a lot about the impression Jolse left me. Unless I’m in dire straits and need something ASAP, I’m probably going to hold off and buy from Jolse. Not only do they have a lot of the brands that I like (Clio, Cosrx, Innisfree, Hera, etc.) under one site, it’s not that long for a purchase to go from virtual shopping cart to my door–even without EMS. The prices are pretty reasonable; even more during a promotion.
And all the samples. Seriously all the samples.
I don’t think I’d be able to go to a direct retailer unless they were super competitive. Sure, they don’t have a full selection of things that you might get on a brand’s site, but it beats $50USD free shipping and a presumably longer wait to get your goods.
Parting thoughts: I’m super happy I splurged for the random box! I’m especially stoked that I got the Low pH cleanser. Realistically I can’t touch anything skincare-related except for one of the essences. My new routine is still going strong and I’m reluctant to introduce something new right now.
I’m super stoked for the Clio kill brow. I have reservations that it’ll be a good fit, but I’m hoping it will be since it’s a lot cheaper than my MAC brow staple, even factoring the exchange rate and shipping.
Total spent: $106.16 USD.
*($10 extra for the random box)