It’s only the first day of the year–Happy New Year!–but I already know it’s going to be an expensive year.
Finances aren’t the only reason, though a highly compelling one I mention during Numbers November. I recently sorted out my stash and know with absolute certainty that I can last years not buying some items.
I’m issuing myself a personal challenge. I love challenges!
I’m going to shop and use my stash this year. Right now my stash neatly fits into two baskets and one small luggage. Ideally, I’d love for it to go all the way down to just half of the luggage. Eliminating the rest of my current storage.
It would also be interesting to see how much the stash goes down. I’ll be keeping track of this as well!
There are liberal guidelines to this challenge of course!
1. Absolutely no new purchases can be made if I have a product on-hand in the stash or something similar. For example, I can’t run out and buy a new argan oil if I have another facial oil I can use or another moisturizer.
2. This is a 365-day challenge, meaning I’m missing key sales and promotions: Sephora’s January skin care promotion; Sephora sales; and sales on Black Friday, Cyber Monday and Boxing Day.
3. Swapping and exchanging are allowed, provided I don’t ask the person to buy me something specific in exchange for something I’ve got.
4. Any gift cards I’ll have are going to be accepted, but not used until after the challenge. That is, of course, unless the gift card expires within the year.
5. Services are totally OK with me. Facials, spa days and threading. I think if I didn’t make this loophole I would go mad within the month.
If you would like to join me in this challenge, let me know and hashtag your journey with #shopthestash. Feel free to use the rules, make up your own or forgo them altogether!
Have you done a beauty spending fast before? Have any tips, tricks or tactics to get myself through the year without going crazy?
Let me know in the comments below or via social media!